Saturday, August 1, 2009

The three choices

I'm been contemplating what type of eating pattern to adopt during this transformation. The three choices I am most interested in are:

Pescatarian- Basically a vegetarian lifestyle, plus fish. Jack LaLane is advocate of this. Basically, it would be lots of raw fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, egg whites, plus grilled or baked fish. I have done this before, but I have had a hard time making past a month or two.

South Beach- The last time I got in shape, I did so using South Beach. I like South Beach, but after 4 or 5 months, it gets old.

Reduced Calorie- I hate counting calories. Gyminee (now Daily Burn) has a great application that allows the smart phone user to easily record calories consumed over the course of the day. It worked great when I had an iPhone. I may be getting a BlackBerry soon, and I read that Daily Burn is working on an BlackBerry app. For now, watching calories is out of the question.

My plan for now start off with pure South Beach as soon as next week is done. I will be eating every meal at conference center, starting with dinner tomorrow night. I am going to focus on portion control during this upcoming week.

Over the course of the remaining 31 weeks after that, I intend to slowly transition from South Beach to Pescatarian in hopes of making the latter the backbone of my long term eating habits.

Whenever I get a Blackberry or another iPhone, I will start recording calories using Daily Burn or other similar service with a decent input app.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should avoid any real diets or doing something that you don't want to continue for life. Counting calories is probably a good idea when you are first getting started because you learn more about what you are consuming, but if you don't want to give up red meat forever, don't... just make healthier meat choices or smaller portions or you will probably just gain all the weight back when go off the diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a lot of luck counting calories so far. Since it's about real, long term change, it's really got to be based on something sustainable and for me, that's got to be moderate calories. South Beach is nice and all, but you can't do it forever.

    In order to get back to a healthy weight, maybe South Beach will work, but you can't get complacent once you get there. That's when the really hard part will begin - being disciplined about what you eat when the scale says everything is fine.

    ReplyDelete