Sunday, July 26, 2009

33 Week Transformation Starts Today!

Why 33 weeks?

By my estimation, if I can lose weight at the pace which I safely have lost weight at in the past, I will be "normal" weight (as measured by BMI) in 33 weeks.

The single biggest reason I have fallen off the fitness wagon in the past is that every few months, I tend to get a nasty cold, the flu, or some other bug. For some reason, I've never been able to continue to eat healthy through those spells. When sick, and during other times of intense stress, I tend to reach towards comfort food, over-indulge, and then feel so guilty that by the time I am healthy again, I am pretty consistently eating junk food and not exercising.

Sometime over the next 33 weeks, I know I am bound to feel under the weather. Therefore, I may miss the BMI target by the deadline, but the true victory for me will be in feeling bad or being very stressed but still managing to stick to the lifestyle transformation program all the way through.

This is the BMI chart for adults according to the CDC. My goal is to go below the 24.9 mark by the end of the 33 weeks (March 7, 2009).

BMI Weight Status
Below 18.5 Underweight
18.5 – 24.9 Normal
25.0 – 29.9 Overweight
30.0 and Above Obese

2 comments:

  1. Hey there,
    a very sensible and reasonable goal. Best of luck with it.

    A lot of people will tell you tricks and things like, "only drink lemonade for three weeks." It's a load of crap. Do things that you think you can stick to after you reach your goals.

    My one piece of advice, since you said you are trying to do portion control, is to try and eat every three hours for at least a week. If you have a reasonable sized portion of some protein and carbs (fruit, veg, whole wheat something) every three hours, you will find that after a week or so your appetite is reduced. You're constantly feeding your body, so you won't want to binge late at night.

    That's my best advice. I do it and even when I go out and have junk food, I simply can't fit as much food in me as before. It's not easy, it takes practice, but if you want, give it a try.

    Also, one other piece of advice, try using smaller plates. You'll take less, and you can always go back for seconds if you really want to, but chances are even if you do, you won't take a ton.

    Anyway, don't feel the need to try it. Do what you think will work for you.

    best of luck,
    m. m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I look forward to reading more. Just remember that BMI isn't always a good indicator especially for tall people or once you build muscle.

    ReplyDelete